Thursday, September 12, 2013

Baked Onion Straws

The other night I decided that I wanted some onion straws. I have no clue why I was craving them, but I wanted them. So, I decided to take the rest of an onion and make some. My absolute first time making them and they turned out pretty good.
All you need: 

- an onion (whole or left over) - I had half of one left and it made quite a bit.
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs 
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 2 eggs
- 3 bowls
- baking sheet
- fork (to scramble eggs)
- old bay seasoning (any other seasoning you feel like adding)
- salt

Directions:

Heat the oven to 400 degrees. 

Line up your three bowls and place your pan at the end. 

Add 1/2 cup of flour into bowl.

Add 1 egg into one bowl. (add other egg when wash becomes low)

Add part of the 1/2 cup of bread crumbs into the last bowl. Sprinkle with old bay seasoning. (add the rest of the bread crumbs when it begins to clump)

** You're adding half because you will need more as the dry ingredients begin to clump **

Take your mandolin/knife and cut your onion into thin slices --- but not to thin!


Once you've sliced your onions. Begin by placing a few of your onions into the flour mixture.


Coat the onions well.

Then dip into your egg wash.

Then coat with bread crumbs/old bay seasoning.

Place on pan. 

Continue to do this until you have used your entire onion. 

Cook for 7 minutes. Check it. Flip over. Cook for another 7 minutes. 

Watch very closely.

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment